Sunday, July 14, 2013

What's in a name?

Naming a kid is different than naming say a pet or a doll.
That individual will have that name to be with for the rest of his life.
Through kindergarten where they may make fun of them for their name, through elementary school where they will try to find their own nickname, in high school when they may want to take more of an adult style nickname or use their real name and in college where that name will be used in a piece of paper that will determine their career path.

I have chosen the name Charles Robert Kramer.

Baby Charles will have many nicknames to chose from. Charlie, Chuck, Chuckie, if he wants to use his middle name then, Rob, Robbie, Bobby, Bob....

I chose Charles because it is a name that's not very common. It's a timeless name. I believe that a name gives you personality. If you have a strong name you are bound to become something powerful.
Also I don't want my kid to be racially profiled when he's older and trying to apply for a job. There are many names that may get stereotyped. As wrong as it is, it happens, and no I don't agree with it.

The middle name Robert is from Dominic's Grandfather. We agreed that if I chose the first name he could have the middle name. I think its a great middle name and both first and middle name mesh very well.

It doesn't bother me if you don't like it. You're not the one raising my kid. I was going to keep it hush hush to keep the bad juju off of him but why should I? I'm proud and happy of the name I chose.

Charles means free man, it is the name of the first Holy Roman Emperor and a name which many royal families use. There have been many intelligent individuals in history with the name Charles. Charles Dickens, Charles Darwin, Charlie Chaplin...Chuck Bass...

While you may ask why I didn't pick anything from my own family's past I will say I didn't have many choices. I did like the name William who was also my step grandfather it is also the name of my sisters adorable fluffy cat. I couldn't let him live thinking I named him after my sisters cat. (Even though Will is the most amazing cat I've ever met, besides Leo obviously.)
In a conversation with my sisters mom she kept throwing out names and I kept deflecting them with the fact that well they've all been used on one pet in the family. Leo's name is retired, may he rest in kitty heaven. Jackson is also longer name for Jack....She said I used all the good names on my animals.

Then there's the fact that well...my family's from Brasil. My mom's side of the family was from a small little town and you know how those names work out. My grandpas name was Geneval and what a great man he was from stories I've heard. But say that out loud, what does it sound like?? ......Yeah not going to work out. And even though I have rekindled a relationship with my own father I don't think that I will carry on his names to my own child. I think the many years I gave him the first piece of cake on my birthdays should be plenty.

Even though Kramer isn't the best last name  (Seinfeld anyone??) I wont subject my kid to having a hyphenated last name to include both my name and Dominic's. We aren't married (yet....) but I think 5 years with someone is enough to pass on his name to our offpsring.

But who knows? Maybe he won't like his name and will think its horrible and will change it after turning 18. At least he'll have it for 18 years of his life. As long as he doesn't change it to something weird like Meta World Peace  it's up to him. But to me, he will always be Bean.

No comments:

Post a Comment