Friday, May 24, 2013

Sick as a dog...

Warning: Somewhat graphic information about pregnancy nausea. I warned you!


For anyone who's drank in their life they have probably at said "I will never drink again" at least once. Hangovers. Never fun, you feel dizzy, nauseous, head achy, lethargic...the list goes on.
But whats the real worst about it? The nausea and vomiting. Which brings me to my topic today. Pregnancy nausea. (Even though all those other symptoms are also found during pregnancy)
My best friend and I would always go out, drink and mix, and I would feel just fine and dandy the next day,  but I would always wake up to her staring me down and saying "I'm nauseous".
And while everyone has a "cure" for a hangover; greasy food, lots of water, pedialyte, more drinks, and tylenol, it usually goes away as the day goes on.

The problem with pregnancy nausea is as the day goes on, the nausea doesn't ease up. It's not even just in the mornings that it comes. It hits you out of nowhere. I was at work the other day making the board when the night cleaners were finishing and cleaning the stainless steel doors, the fake citrus smell of the cleaner sent me over the edge, from that moment on I felt sick.
And let me tell you there are times you think oh its probably going to be just a quick vomit, or easy, and all the sudden it's like you're in the Exorcist and cant quite even figure out what it is you're puking.
I have two bathrooms at work to chose from; the upstairs kitchen and the lobby bathroom,, the upstairs bathroom is vile, it smells of sewage and food and even if you are not sick you will be once you start walking up the stairs. But there's a nice little chair in there to take a mini break. The one in the lobby really shouldn't be used by employees...even though most front desk, managers and supervisors all use it. Neither bathroom is close enough though...I usually have to do some old lady jogging 7
Lots of people say your second trimester you aren't sick as much, but that's not a for sure thing. My friend Natalie is well into her 2nd if not 3rd now and the poor girl has to run to a trash can or toilet constantly. I feel this will be what's in stores for me. I have become accustomed to having a little bag in my purse just in case.

How do you fix pregnancy nausea? You really cant... There are pills the doctor can give you, and they can work pretty well, but here's the thing. It stops things from leaving....completely. So now you're not puking, but you're not getting rid of anything else as well. I'd rather puke.
There are a few foods I find better to eat if I know that its going to be one of those days where nothing stays down, I don't know if I've uncovered anything new women just don't talk much about puke....
I find that crackers help a lot with the acidity, bananas, soda, drinking water with lime
And then there are things I stay away on those days, anything oily, olives, oatmeal, rice, spicy and acidic things.

And I know this plays no part in nausea I have had some weird cravings, I don't like cantaloupe, in fact I don't fancy any melons, but yesterday I found myself putting salt on it at lunch and having quite the delicious little salty fruit. In fact I keep putting salt in everything, and if you know my parents thats what they do, salt in everything, including pizza. Although I do like salty food I'm not one to just pour salt into my food. I'm trying to ween away from salt and limes but they're just so darn delicious!!!

So that's my take on pregnancy nausea, if you want to put yourself in my shoes please go outside get as many different colored drinks and don't eat and see how your day plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment